Friday, February 5, 2016

Fighting For Renewal

       The mind is a constant battle ground in the faith of a follower of Christ. Between everyday life and the call believers have, there is no way we could live busier lives than today. In the midst of our own constant thinking and moving, the enemy finds his way in. Whether it is just adding more business to cause believers to be idle, or believing blatant false hoods, it is no wander the Bible is meant to encourage a believer in life.

Knowing this constant battle quite well personally, I have memorized a couple of verses to fall back on and remember in those times. This verse serves as a lighthouse in tough times. It also reminds me to direct my attention back to the Father and His will. This post is a little different than my previous ones, but I felt led to just share some of these basic verses that are meaningful to me.

1) 1 Peter 5:7

  Because of the current age, our lives consist of more worry than anything else. A combination of social, family, and faith based pressures, the life of a modern age Christian can be pack an huge amount of stress if one is not careful.

I worry more about the tomorrows of my life rather than focus on my current situation in that day. I struggle to see 10 feet ahead because I constantly worry about the first step. This verse reminds me my worry is unneeded. God’s sovereignty  works all things in my life out according to his will, not my worry.

2) 2 Corinthians 10:5

The mind is such a wondering and fickle thing. There is nothing that causes more conflict in my personal walk than my thoughts. These thoughts constantly reflects the man I was, not the man Christ recreated. This verse reminds me of the power Christ has entrusted to a believer through the Holy Spirit. Because the spirit dwells within a Christ follower, our thoughts are no longer running unchallenged. The Holy Spirit provides order and encouragement for the mind of a believer.

3) 2 Corinthians 5:17

Christ’s gift of salvation granted us access to understand the fullness of God’s love. He boor our sin and put it to death so we could become new creations through Him. This process is recreating us in the righteousness of God. When my battles rage internally I am reminded by this verse that I am made new because of Christ.

4) Isaiah 53:6

For me, this verse reminds me to keep myself in check. When my pride begins to swell or I feel as if I am doing something meaningful by my own power, even trying to seek glory for myself this verse shatters every bit of my ego. This text reminds me that I first strayed away from God which in turn caused me to be undeserving of his grace and favor. Yet, Christ boor my equity restoring me back to the Father. Not by my actions but His.

5) Proverbs 9:1

  My ability to comprehend the goodness of Christ always begins with my fear for the Lord. This verse states that my knowledge and understanding do not come from myself. They are all gifts from the Father. He gives wisdom to those who awe and wonder at his holy reverence. Not my own intelligence, but his gift to me.

Collectively these verses remind me in my daily walk that I need God so much more than I am seeking him. Even when the days get tough, these encouraging verses help me direct my attention back to the Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment