Monday, February 1, 2016

The Great Treasure

“For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” – Matthew 6:21

            I took some time to think about this verse earlier this week and to deeply reflect on it. I desired to get to the root of what this verse means in my life as a follower of Christ.

            We would all say treasure is something we hold near and dear to ourselves. Regardless if we define our "treasure" by a person, place, moment, or object, one thing remains in all of these. Our treasure is designated by the deep and intimate value WE give it, outside of its intended purpose or use. Meaning, my treasure may not be the same as someone else’s. But I decided to dig a little deeper.

            Through the entirety of time, treasure has been sought out by all. A person, money, land, gold, oil the list could literally go on forever. Groups plunder, steal, and even kill for these treasures. For there to be a fight, war, or dispute over such things, someone must be willing to fight for it. Even in some cases, die for whatever they were defending. Then it hit me.

            If I claim to hold the Gospel as a treasure near and dear to me, am I willing to die to defend it.  Am I truly willing to sacrifice who and what I am for the advancement and protection of this righteous deposit. After deep searching and thinking, I felt an overwhelming heaviness and deep conviction.
           
            Do I view other things in my life as more of a treasure than the Gospel? Does my marriage matter more to me than the Gospel of redemption? Do I idolize the love of my wife more than I long for the Gospel? Talk about a gut check….

            But even in my lowliness and burdened state, His grace is sufficient in all ways. Even in my brokenness, His glory still dwells. In my darkest sin He still knows I want to be near Him. I then changed gears, and began to think about what I need to get out of my current state.

            Christ’s heart was also where His treasure was. His treasure is the elect. He viewed us as something he was willing to die for ,to save, and protect. Christ would rather hang from a tree, then to allow a member of His bride to miss out on redemption.

            Just wow… Christ’s heart, the very heart of God, looks at us as His treasure. Even in my unclean sate, Christ was willing to lay it all upon the cross for my redemption. Free redemption, blood bought because He looked at us as if we had great value.

            How could I ever place my heart in anything else more than in Him. I feel as if I am just repeating the actions of Israel turning away from God’s goodness yet again.

            Instead, God reminded me of His grace and His renewing power. (Isa 53:6) He has reminded me that my love for my wife is yet another gift he has given me and allowed me to partake in. How could I ever give enough thanks for that? How much more could He love us than allowing us to love each other.


“The Lord is gracious, slow to anger, rich in love. He is so good to us

No comments:

Post a Comment