Friday, February 5, 2016

Shoes To Fill

This week I took the time to think about how I am doing with being a good steward of what Christ has given me. I gave myself a pat on the back thinking I had all my life in “order”, but then it hit me. What about my wife? Have I been a good steward of her?


It seems as if each week God brings out the heavy and just shatters my own self- perception. Of course I love and adore my wife, but have I done above and beyond my call as her husband. Being a good steward to me is, returning something better than you found it. Going out of your way to make sure the value increases over time. So the question remains, have I done that for my wife?
From our first date. (2014)


Going back to when I first met Sydney, my second semester at Troy University, I never would have thought God would give me the opportunity to love such an amazing woman inside and out. But, did I fully understand my roll and job as a leader when we first got together? Looking back, I would have to say probably not.


Being married 7 months now, I feel as if I am just now understanding what it means to be a good steward of my wife. In Eph., Paul writes about how husbands and wives should love and treat one another. While still using it to illustrate how Christ loves us as His bride.
Christ loved us as sinners first. Even knowing our own sin, Christ died for us. He acknowledged our imperfections and shame, yet still pursued us. Love so unconditional that Christ added more value to us than we started with.
My favorite picture of Sydney. (Christmas 2014)


Looking at my life, do I truly love the way Christ loves? Even when I have had a bad day, do I still give an overwhelming and abundant amount of grace to my wife. The answer is simply, no. I allow my own imperfection to dictate my actions towards others. I don’t mistreat her, but I fail daily to deliver the same level of love and compassion Christ has called me to display.

Yet even in my failure and in my poor actions, Sydney still shows an abundance of Christ-like love towards me. She reminds me that everyday is a new day and a new chance to live out Christ’s will. There is no better helpmate for me than the one I have been given. Because of her compassion and ability to mirror Christ, every day is a day to cherish and be a good steward of this wonderful woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment