Friday, February 19, 2016

Building Character

        The past couple weeks, our church has been going through a sermon series about the nature of God’s character. This has sparked many great conversations at home and with other believers.

         This past week we focused on the nature of God in the midst of a crisis or trial. I was so thankful to have heard that message and being reminded just how great the nature of God is.

 I often talk about trials and how believers need to press on through them, but I feel like that is only looking at half of the picture. Looking at Psalms 34 (the passage we focused on last Sunday), David does a great job giving a real life description of the God head’s character.

For me, I often find myself viewing trials and struggles as something to over come and grow from. This is such a good truth, that I forget to look at the big picture. We all know God is with us through our struggles, but personally I forget that it is an intimate part of it.

         Psalms 34 talks about God’s ear being to the broken hearted. Maybe it is just my calloused heart and mind, but I have never had that passage hit home as much as it did.

         I often forget that God is so near and close in the midst of my struggle that I rely on myself to “power through” it. How broken am I that I forget the Fatherly nature of God and just focus on the need to “surpass” or overcome my own issues.

         This past week as I have been reflecting on that hard word, I was reminded of God’s personality and intimate character.

         In 2014, I lost my grandfather. Such a devastating time for myself and my family for many reasons. But I remember just how broken I was. All the regret I felt for not spending more time with him and the blatant hatred I felt in my heart because of it.

         For weeks and weeks, I was crying out to God for some type of piece in the midst of his death and my sin. I found myself just leaving Troy one weekend just to be alone.

         In that time, seeking God and begging for an escape. Never once did I realize God was there with me in my sorrow. As time went on, wounds healed as they always do. It wasn’t until almost a year later I realized God heard my cries.

         Looking back, I wish I had the patience and understanding I have now during that unfortunate time. All the while, I am so thankful for learning.


         In the midst of struggle, God is near us. We often don’t know or understand that, because we focus too much on the issue rather than who provides the solution. I am so thankful God has allowed struggle and brokenness to come to me and teach me to look at Him in the midst not the end. I am glad God used my issues now and then to build up my character in His likeness.

No comments:

Post a Comment