Thursday, April 7, 2016

Happy Birthday


            Like I have said in previous post, my wife and I love are home church here in Troy. There is just nothing like living life with other believers for the sake of the Gospel. We love serving and getting to know others through the church, but this week was special….
This week marks the second year Troy Church was officially planted. Needless to say everyone is on a mountain top high because of God’s faithfulness to us according to his word. Though Sydney and I started to get involved with Troy Church in November/December of 2014, we have loved the journey we have encountered because of it.

This week we actually had a birthday party for the church! It was as outrageous as you could have imagined. Cake, football, great food, and great fellowship; all the makings of a great time. But just like anything else, we needed a little bit of seriousness.
Our pastor (Jason Durant or White Chocolate on the court), shared just a few testimonies of people and family effected by Troy church. It’s so important to remember that the church is something to be nurtured and cared for. Though we are his bride and he stations us, he commands believers to enrich the body by loving each other in and out of the body.
Getting to hear stories of other church member’s journeys was so helpful and encouraging. Having Jason tells these stories reminded me of Psalms 66:16. “Come and hear, all you who fear God, and I will tell what he has done for my soul.” (ESV)  Side Note: I feel as a Christian, I often forget the power of someone’s testimony. Of course I have given and heard testimonies, but do I sit down and reflect on them like I should? Do I just take Revelations 12:11 at face value? It’s crazy how God can just break you down mid thought and teach you His truth.
Anyways, it made me think about all the stuff Troy Church has done for us. Troy Church gave us a home. In the midst of uncomfortable situations with others, Troy Church displayed “Real Love for Real People” to us. People like George and Kristen Burrtram (who moved from Hayden, Alabama to plant this church with the Durant’s) opened up their home and hearts to us while we were complete strangers. They treated us like family the first time we met them and they have become our closest friends.

Men like Ronald Pierce and Ryan Richburg who truly care about my walk with God. Always asking me how I am and can most likely see through my bullcrap answer 90% of the time. A friend like JB Roberts who is a constant encouragement to my walk and faith in the Father.  A brother like Jason Durant, who have had more hard, yet good conversations with me than I would like to count.

These are just a few people who have made Troy Church mean so much to Sydney and I. So like everyone else has said before, Happy Birthday Troy Church!

No comments:

Post a Comment