Thursday, January 28, 2016

Seeing Growth

            In one of my pervious posts, I wrote about my time in Slocomb, Al at a DNOW this year. Besides the awesome time and great learning experience I had there, this week I really realized something about the same group of guys I have led the past two years.

            Last year all the young guys in were very different from how they are now. Obviously last year they were all 5ft tall and this year they towered over me, but that is besides the point. (I blame the hormones in the chicken for that). It was literally day and night comparing the spirituality of these guys from both years. It was very eye opening and aweing to see their spiritual growth in just one year.

            When I first encountered these guys, I still had my septum ring and gauges. In other words, I really threw those guys off when I showed up to a small town Baptist DNOW weekend as a leader. Regardless of my outward appearance, I was truly able to open up with these young men. Christ allowed me to build relationships with that group so I could one day minister to them.

2015
            Last year, our lessons were short and filled with your typical “Sunday school” answers. Now I am not saying there is anything wrong with Sunday school answers. It was very predictable that that was to take place since I was the “new guy”, but for me in that point in time it was very discouraging.  We all have an idea of what type of impact we want to leave on others. Rolling up to that church in a leadership position, I wanted to walk in “guns blazing” and turn those youngster perceptions upside down. HA… yeah that never works. The ol’ “I’m a smart college Christian” card is what I call it, but in truth it was my own devastating pride blinding me from reality. Thank you Christ Jesus for using that to humble me and pointing out my dirty imperfect righteousness. God, constantly reminded me that weekend that I was there to build relationships.

            This year I was able to see the fruit God had been growing in their life. The Sunday school answers turned into deep talks about prayer, the Holy Spirit, and a followers’ identity in Christ. These conversations we were having ended up being the exact conversations I wanted to have the year before. God was once again teaching me about His timing over mine.

2016 (Just part of the group.)
            In this season of silence, reflecting on the Gospel truly helps my waiting for God’s timing. Even more, being able to experience first hand the growth of young believers is astonishing. To see young men desire Christ because they understand the weight of their personal sin is more fulfilling than anything I could have tried to achieve on my own.


Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity. - 1 Timothy 4:12

No comments:

Post a Comment